Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tip O' The Week

I have this spice rack, I've had it for a number of years.  When Ox and I moved in together, I realized that in the number of years that I'd owned the the spice rack I've not ever replenished the spices in the rack.  And even more disturbing was the fact that the spice rack came pre-filled.

So, I dumped all the spices and hadn't gotten around to replenishing all the different containers.

Today though I realized I was missing some key spices (Basil, Oregano, etc).

So, Ox and I went to a local natural store that I simply adore, Debra's Natural Gourmet.  Debra's offers a huge selection of bulk goods - grains, legumes and spices.  There are tons of amazingly interesting spices that I had no idea about, things like chrysanthemum flowers,  crystallized ginger, etc etc .  Everything smelled amazing, I couldn't decide on which spices I wanted!  But, in an effort to contain my excitement - I narrowed it down to 3 spices and I filled up the little packages.

When Ox and I arrived at the register - I didn't know what to expect.  I mean, most the spices went for $44 plus a pound.  You know how much they charge in the grocery for even a small container of spices - minimum $5.  So, I was at least ready to pay at least $10 for my 3 packets of spices and still think I was getting a good deal.

You see, I did it to have fresher spices and go through my inventory faster.  I knew Debra's has better quality products than what you can get from a large spice manufacturer. 

So, when the cashier said... ninety-two cents.  I had to take a momentary pause and consider the fortune in my decision to buy bulk spices.

NINETY TWO CENTS people.  This is a miracle.   I am very excited to use my new spices tomorrow!

So, my tip to you is buy your spices in bulk my friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment