Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lovely Lady Leaf Peepin'

I had the pleasure of going on a little leaf peepin' excursion this weekend. 

For those of you not privy to that term - as I was not until recently - it means going out in the great out of doors and ogling nature as it changes outfits.

A good friend and I made the great escape from the city to the Albany, NY area.  While in the area we visited Thatcher State Park and hiked the Indian Ladder Trail where we went and visited a few waterfalls and watched as nature reminded us it was amazing.

We had a blissful time wandering throughout the park, huntin' toads and spelunking.  The sky was clear, the day was warm and the picnic was perfection.


But what struck me the very most about my trip was not so much the awe-inspiring beauty around me...but the beauty inside my fellow travelers.  I'm not sure if you've ever experienced this...but without planning...without even a thought of effort - the most perfect social, ladies get-together weekend emerged out of this adventure.  I found myself surrounded by ladies that each inspired me in their own way.  Everyone was full of fun conversation, interesting views and eye-opening opinions.

We spent the drive home in near silence.  Listening to new music provided by our lovely host and pondering what it was that made us happy.  It was honestly one of the most moving weekends I've had the joy of experiencing in a long time.

You see, I'm a planner.  I have excel spreadsheets that are color coded, I make lists of lists.  This whole just not planning and barely even packing thing was totally not my usual way of going on a trip.  But, in doing so I ended up with the exact soul nourishment I didn't even know I was longing for.

So, my suggestion to you is this - take surprise trip, don't plan, just go.

Flow might just have the best trip you've ever had planned for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment