Monday, October 25, 2010

Flow Fritter!

Available at Amazon.com
When my sister was visiting one of our adventures involved a random, packed-to-the-brim, used bookstore.  Both of us ladies happily stumbled upon literary gems we couldn't wait to read!

I personally found something I'd long since given up hope on ever finding.   The 5th book in the Earth's Children Series by Jean M. Auel.  This series began with the Clan of the Cave Bear - made famous by the 1986 movie staring Daryl Hannah.  You see, this series was my all-time favorite as a child.  A bit mature for my time, but still, a very important novel set to me.  But I reached the 4th book and at that time, Ms. Auel was still working on the 5th novel and I'd given up hope on it ever being written.  Alas, in the depths of this bookstore, I found my arch!   Thank you flow, for that flow fritter!!!

I've since breezed through the book and sent it on to my sister.  But there was an interesting tie to this prehistoric people and a Cooking Light article I recently had the pleasure of reading.

You see Cooking Light was talking about Generation F.  The food oriented generation that takes it one step more than being "foodies".  These are the people that are re-embracing artisanal food.  These are the day-traders of the 90's that have found new meaning to their lives in these new economic times by specializing.  By taking the time to do something amazing and special with food, in a way that no major plant or machine could do.  The results are amazing as a whole new society of localvores is starving for these craft items.

Why does a book about cave people remind me of this article?  Because, in cave times - everyone had a specialty.  That's how they survived.  Some where expert basket weavers, some where hunters, some made great wine.  Then they all worked together, as a society to trade amongst themselves.

Society as a whole is taking some steps to regain their crafts.  People are putting more emphasis on actual skills rather than earning ability.  And these crafts are finding a real solid niche in society.  There's a renewed acceptance of society of the idea of taking the time to make something amazing, instead of working to make it as cheap and in as large a quantity as possible.

Will this reversion to a specialized society help local economies? 

Is this a cycle that was bound to happen that we all missed somehow or do you think that this is a fluke caused by the economy and we will return to the mass production age as soon as things pick up?

I for one, certainly hope that is not the case.  There's something quaint about the idea of knowing a pickle maker, a bread maker and a mustard maker -- and thinking about those people as you bite into the most amazing sandwich gives that sandwich additional emotional value. 

Do you know someone making a new career out of specialization that they'd never have had the guts to try if the economic downturn hadn't pushed them to do so?  I'd love to hear actual stories if you can share some!!

No comments:

Post a Comment