Monday, August 30, 2010

The Joys of Public Transportation

Hello and happy beginning of the week.

I ride public transportation to get my bum to my office everyday. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread -- but many people have complaints about public transportation. While I'm fully aware of the loud-talkers, slow schedules and occasional smelly folk -- I'd like to be the first to use the title of this blog in a non-sarcastic way.

On my ride home Friday (I take both a bus and a train) I got to see some of the best of humanity. On the bus - a mother with three small children was exiting and the littlest girl (obviously spunky) JUMPED for her life from the stairs of the bus. Her little brother snatched her up by the hand and in a worried tone said "Don't you EVER do that again" -- which caused the rest of us on the bus to break out and giggle - including the bus driver who had the biggest smile I've ever seen.

Then on the train leg of my journey - still smiling at the sunshine I stared out the window contemplating my weekend plans. Watching the trees gradually bow to the up coming season change, noticing the tops of the boughs marked with the occasional red/yellowish hue, I felt overwhelmed with a sense of peace and joy.

Just as I settled in and really started enjoying my ride - right when I thought it couldn't get better...it did.

As we past through a station I saw the inbound platform, full of people waiting to get to the city. Some were reading, some were chatting with other passengers --- and then I saw the most fantastic young man.

He stood away from the rest of the passengers, toeing the STAND BACK line. He was rocking out with his IPod and doing the best robot I've seen in years. Yes, folks - I saw a young man doing the robot randomly in the countryside from a speeding train.

I knew this weekend was going to be tops and it was...I hope you can take the time to appreciate the positives as you journey through your day. And may they be plentiful.

1 comment: