Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cohabitation Log - Day 5

I had grand aspirations for this little blog idea ... I was going to blog everyday of our little cohabitation experiment, I was going to be diligent, I mean, I have 2+ hours of public transportation commuting downtime to rock this out, how could I not?!

Unfortunately...I was tired and we didn't have the interwebz until yesterday and well, we've been busy getting settled (I've not even sent photos of the new place to my fam! gasp!)....so day 5 for the start it is!

Our story is pretty typical - boy meets girl. Girl befriends boy. Boy and girl decide friendship is too much work, stop talking. Girl decides boy is awesome and devises a plan to re-win his friendship and eventually his heart. Boy shoots girl down. Girl tells him he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about and forces him to date her. They live happily ever after.

Okay, so maybe not the most typical 2 year courtship, but it certainly worked for us. Now we're all snuggled up in our love-nest (Day 5 - I can call it a love-nest since I can count the piles of stuff that needs a place to go on our floor on one hand)....awwwww.

So it's us, chillin' in the love-nest...and me trying to be Doris Day. On Day 3, Ox says to me, "Pretty,"...get it? PrettyOx? I'll tell the story of the nicknames later... Anyway, Ox said, "Pretty, I need some dessert for lunch, I didn't have one today and I was sad." (yes folks, I'm dating a 3rd grader) We didn't have any from the store because well, I like to cook and darn it I'm a real woman, I can make my man some sweets! So, I decided to make some cookies to surprise him when he got home.

I scoped the landscape of the love-nest: Ingredients? Check. Kitchen unpacked and organized so I can find tools for project? Check. Functional oven? Check. Away we go!

I prepare and get the cookies in the oven...feeling quite fab about my domestic bliss, then pull them out at just the right time (quite a feat for a brand new oven, ifidontsaysomyself). I go to place them on the top of the oven, which was covered with dishes drying...and turn around with a satisfied smile on my face...CRASH!!!!!

Yup, fresh cookies all over the kitchen floor (freshly scrubbed people, we just moved in!).

I did not cry, not one tear. I just stood there staring at the pan thinking, I wonder if that will melt the flooring...then I jumped into action thinking heck, that might really melt the flooring! I scooped up the pan and looked at what was left of my cookies.

All in all they fared pretty well, so I scooped them up and put them on a platter. Nar a stray fuzz ball in the bunch.

When Ox came home from work I beamed a smile at him and offered him a cookie. He was delighted.

It wasn't until this morning that I said, "Oh dear man who I love....those cookies? Ya know how they were kinda wonky and misshapen? Yeah well, I dropped them on the floor and had to scoop them up and I didn't tell you because I knew you might not like dinner (did I mention I'm dating a picky eater and I'm into food?) so I wanted to have one success for the day, yesterday...so I didn't tell you and I'm sorry."

I expected the worst or at least an "Eww! Why didn't you toss 'em?"

And that man I love, Ox as you now know him ... he says "Oh no wonder you were in a mood (which I totally was)! They taste fine and I packed them for lunch. You are a good girl and that's why I love you."

And that, friends, is the power of a lil' sprinkle of floor spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment