Friday, September 3, 2010

Who Knew Cohabitation Sucked All The Me Time?!

Before cohabitation, Ox and I lived about an hour's drive away from one another.  So, we usually didn't see each other but for the weekends.  We would spend the entire weekend together mind you, but still we had our week nights to ourselves.

Now, what was once "my" time to us - is filled with "our" time.  So, the hobbies we participated in during our weeks now cut into time that we are together - which was once a precious commodity.  I say that like our time together is not still precious to me, that's not true.

In all honesty, I'm having a hard time letting go of that time being precious.  My evenings where I used to have to fill the time have suddenly become bustling with go-go-go time until Ox gets home and I put dinner on the table.  New to me - apparently I should have been born in the 50's because I'm a MASTER of dinner on the table as he walks in the door.  Usually dinner looks great and I'm frazzled, stressed and generally less than fantastic dinner company.  (see the potential problem here?)

Needless to say, I think I need to work on a little balance (reoccurring theme much?).  A full tummy and a cranky woman does not a happy man make.  He'd much rather starve and me be smiling (because he's awesome). 

So I am working out ways to prep meals earlier in the week for later - maybe even on Sunday afternoons handle the chopping, etc.  That way during the week in the hour or so I have when I get home I can handle some chores and things I like to do such as go for hikes, workout, wander around local farms or take my French lessons.  Then be ready to share my experiences with Ox when he gets home, instead of being flustered and rushed.

It's an interesting transition - trying to keep the love and closeness we felt when we had "limited" amounts of time together to now having lots of time together, but still keeping that time meaningful.

Obviously we're still in honeymoon stage, where things are just new and exciting and wonderful no matter what.  But I can see how couples have to fight to remain themselves as well as one half of a couple.
photo by Zazzle user Uncommonannie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment