Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I was alone,I was all by myself. No one was looking....

My office is a ghost town today - between a monthly conference that half the office is attending until 2p.m. and illness, I've been left alone on the porch!

No, that's not some trending new statement or quaint old one either.  My company happens to keep shop in an old home, my office in particular is in what was once the old porch - now sealed in.  So, genuinely, I am alone on the porch while my fellow porch dweller's lunch with colleges.

So, what's a gal to do?  I've caught up on my day-to-day work and I'm simply in a mode of waiting for the phone to ring with some client needing assistance or perhaps an email to trickle in...but in the meantime I'm fighting the urge to nap under my desk Costanza style in my own way.

I've stumbled a bit and found no interesting articles to share, so I went on to what I do whenever I have a spare moment and am starting to get the nods...that's right folks - I burpeed in my office.

She did whaaaat?!  A burpee is a type of exercise that works most of your main muscle groups in a quick efficient and slightly embarrassing fashion (video here).  Match that up with some forward and backward lunges and a few pushups and now I'm all jazzed up and ready to take on the day!!  Or ya know, sit here and yak at my favorite readers a bit!

I started this little habit last year.  I found myself growing tired and cranky at my desk.  I was never able to get workouts in after work because I was a social butterfly, or at least pretending to be one -- so I started getting up every few hours, making my way to the stairwell at the back of the house and running stairs when I started to feel my energy drop.  I've got to tell you - best little weird habit ever!

So, tell me, what do you do when you start getting low on energy reserves at work?  What's your guilty pass-the-time pleasure for the workplace?

No comments:

Post a Comment